Historic Cottage Campaign
Working in conjunction with Rotary International District 6900 and other interested organizations or individuals, the Roosevelt Warm Springs Development Fund seeks to restore the historic cottages that make up the Warm Springs National Historic Landmark District. Founded by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1927, Roosevelt Warm Springs became a world-famous polio treatment center and a partner in the legacy of polio eradication for which Rotary and its global partners continue to strive.
Ann Johnson Heritage Center
Ann Henderson Johnson established a legacy of leadership and philanthropy before her untimely death in the spring of 2008. The John B. Amos Cancer Center in Columbus and her extensive efforts for Rotary International as the first female governor of District 6900, including the Rotary International Tennis Center at Roosevelt Warm Springs, are just two of many examples of her civic leadership in West Georgia. As such, it is fitting that her name be permanently affixed to a project in Warm Springs. To accomplish preserving her legacy, the museum at the outdoor swimming pool at Roosevelt Warm Springs, ran by the State of Georgia Department of Natural Resources, is being renovated. This museum will tell the story of the warm springs and polio - one of mankind's greatest medical triumphs. It will also tell the story of Rotary International's continuing quest to eradicate polio worldwide.
Led by her husband, Lamar Johnson, and Rotary Past District Governor Steve Stanfield, a member of the Roosevelt Warm Springs Development Fund Board, a campaign is underway to raise $250,000 for the restoration of the museum at the outdoor swimming pool. This center will be a fitting tribute to the memory of a great lady and the legacy of hope established here by FDR.
For more information, please contact Rotary Past District Governor, Steve Stanfield, at (229) 942-1636 or email@example.com, or call the RWSDF office at (706) 655-5666.